Fostering FAQ

Here are the most frequently asked questions about FAQ! If you can think of another question please message us and we will add it to our list!

How do I begin fostering?

  1. Check and make sure that your home meets Alabama Minimum Standards
  2. Download and complete the Application 
  3. Find the mailing address of your County DHR
  4. A Social Worker should contact you within a week. If you do not hear from someone call weekly to check in.

Can I choose what age range and gender I’m most comfortable with? ABSOLUTELY only you know what ages work best for your family. As part of your training program you will tell your social worker what ranges you’re willing to foster.

What are the minimum.maximum age requirements? 19 years old – as long as you meet health requirements.

Can single adults foster?  Foster parents may be single (single includes never married or legally divorced) or married.

How long do you have to be married before you can foster? If living together in a relationship, foster parents shall have been married in a legal ceremony or by common law, as defined by law, and have been in this relationship for at least one year. If married applicants are living together, either at the time of application or at any later time, both married spouses must be approved as foster parents (for additional info about marriages please contact us).

What will be required after I apply?

  1. A Financial Statement 
  2. A Physical Exam
  3. Two background checks
  4. GPS training  (30 hours over 10 weeks)
  5. A Completed Home study

Are we allowed to have pets? Yes as long as they adhere to minimum standards, “An animal shall not be kept if the animal has shown aggressive behavior. B) Animals shall have an annual certificate of rabies vaccination on file in the home if required by law to be vaccinated. C) An animal that is not aggressive but could pose a threat to the health and safety of children such as, but not limited to lizards, snakes and turtles, shall be routinely confined (e.g. a cage or an aquarium) in an appropriate container.”

Do I have to pay for healthcare? No all children who are in foster care receive Medicaid through the state of Alabama. You will not pay for health, vision, prescription, and dentist costs. Read more HERE.

Do I have to pay for daycare? No all children who are in foster care receive CMA that pays for childcare for children under 5 years old. Read more HERE

Can you do a more “temporary” style foster care? Yes this is called Emergency care (usually 3 days or less) or Respite Care (usually a week or less). You will still be required to get a foster care licence.

Are foster licenses within the state transferable between counties?  Yes if you move within state your licence will transfer. People moving from other states may have to take renewal classes.

Follow AFAPA on Facebook!